PTA is pleased to provide relevant, weekly eNews to the Berkner community.
Share YOUR News!
Submit articles to RAMblings@berknerpta.org.
LLOYD V. BERKNER PTA
Standing rules “relate to the details of administration of a society rather than to a parliamentary procedure,” and are adopted as needed. They are semi-permanent in nature and may be suspended or amended by a majority vote of the general body present and voting with prior notice, or by two-thirds vote without prior notice.
RULE I: BASIC POLICIES OF EXECUTIVE
A. General Duties of Executive Board Members 1. All officers and chairs shall take responsibility for reading the bylaws and standing rules of this organization, and for being familiar with predecessors’ procedure notebooks
and applicable National/State PTA handbooks/guidelines so as to understand the
responsibilities of their individual positions and the methods by which the board
operates. 2. Each officer and chair shall maintain a procedure book detailing the responsibilities
and activities and give said notebook to the successor at the completion of the fiscal
year. 3. Each officer and chair shall be a participating member of the corresponding RISD
Council of PTAs committee if one exists.
B. Board Emergency Voting
(electronic voting) 1. Action may be taken on the motion after the vote is declared true and accurate. 2. The board shall not consider a motion outside of its scope of responsibilities as defined in the bylaws and standing rules.
C. Insurance Berkner PTA shall carry the following insurance: 1. Commercial General Liability containing a liability portion, which comes into effect for a lawsuit in which Berkner PTA is being sued for
bodily injury or property damage, and
medical payments portion, which comes into effect for any minor medical injury that is
sustained at a Berkner PTA-sponsored event; 2. Accident Medical, which helps to deter lawsuits and covers some out of pocket
medical expenses when General Liability policy does not; 3. Blanket Bonding, which covers anyone Berkner PTA entrusts with Berkner PTA’s money, including but not limited to PTA Officers, PTA Volunteers and Couriers, so long
as Berkner PTA conducts an annual financial review and monthly bank statements are
reviewed and signed by someone who does not have authorization to sign checks; and 4. Officers Liability, which protects the way officers manage Berkner PTA and the ¶
decisions made by the Board; this coverage excludes criminal and knowingly wrongful
acts, among other things.
D. Vice Chairs Berkner PTA - Standing Rules - Page 1 of 10
Vice chairs designated in these rules are not members of the executive board and do
not have the privilege of debate or vote.
RULE II: ADDITIONAL DUTIES OF OFFICERS
shall: 1. Represent Berkner PTA at school, Council and RISD functions; 2. Communicate regularly with school principal or designated representative;
3. In the absence of a committee chair, appoint individual(s) to cover the duties and
responsibilities of the committee; and 4. Coordinate with incoming president a “turn-over” meeting to transfer notebook(s) and
information pertinent to the functioning of the unit.
B. First Vice President (Aide)
shall: 1. Be authorized to sign on bank account(s), as one of the three authorized signers;
2. Order name tags for executive board members; 3. Prepare folders for Board members prior to the first Board meeting; 4. Arrange for food at executive board meetings;
5. Present the executive board report at regular meetings; and
6. Assume responsibility for all courtesies due the Council president, including ordering
of the past president’s pin.
C. Second Vice President (Membership)
shall: 1. Promote membership goals of Berkner PTA and RISD Council of PTAs;
2. Manage membership campaign and recruit volunteers to help at Berkner registration/schedule pick-up, freshman orientation and designated staff function(s), as
well as Berkner PTA regular meetings and events;
3. Receive membership forms and dues, remit dues to Treasurer and request payment
checks to Texas PTA; and 4. Maintain current membership roster and provide copies to President, Secretary and Treasurer.
D. Third Vice President (Programs)
shall: 1. Arrange for programs at regular Berkner PTA meetings; 2. Arrange for color guard and national anthem at regular meetings; and
3. Arrange for programs that benefit/educate Berkner students. ¶
E. Fourth Vice President (Ways and Means)
shall: 1. Order car decals as needed and manage sales at registration/schedule pick-up, regular meetings and other opportunities;
¶ 2. Promote and manage grocery/retail reward programs; and
3. Investigate other fundraising opportunities. 4. Pursue community businesses for sponsorships and
Berkner PTA - Standing Rules - Page 2 of 10
F. Fifth Vice President (Hospitality-Fall)
shall: 1. Provide meals and treats for the staff in the fall semester; 2. Promote staff appreciation among parents and students; and 3. Assist Sixth Vice President in Spring.
G. Sixth Vice President (Hospitality-Spring)
shall: 1. Provide meals and treats for the staff in the spring semester; 2. Promote staff appreciation among parents and students; and 3. Assist Fifth Vice President in Fall.
shall: 1. Not be appointed to review the monthly bank statements;
2. Write a letter of signatory name change to the bank carrying accounts of the unit if required by the bank. This letter shall be given to the treasurer for delivery along with a
copy of the minutes from the election meeting.
shall: 1. Assume responsibility for changing the signatory names on the Berkner PTA bank account at the close of the fiscal year; 2. Proof the IRS 990 form prepared by the outgoing treasurer for accuracy, and if found
correct present the form for adoption at an executive board meeting before November
15. Obtain the president’s signature and submit the IRS Form 990 by its due date of
November 15 for the previous fiscal year;
3. Prepare the Texas Sales Tax form and submit it in accordance with the law; 4. Present a budget-v-actual report at each executive board meeting;
and 5. Ensure that fundraisers are approved, either through approval of a Plan of Work or approval of the budget that includes them, or through a special vote if added after the
budget and plans have been adopted;
6. Prepare a draft of the IRS Form 990 for the tax year ending June 30, prior to
releasing financial records to the new treasurer; and 7. Prepare preliminary treasurer’s reports for the following time periods: ● -
final board meeting until the end of the fiscal year and
final regular meeting until the end of the fiscal year to assist the following
treasurer in preparing the first reports of the year.
shall: 1. Provide sign-in sheet at board meetings;
2. Serve as chair of the bylaws special committee; and
3. Immediately after the nominating committee elections, meet with the newly elected committee to review their responsibilities, deadlines, parliamentary and reporting
procedures. 4. Request the most recent copy of the PTA’s Bylaws and Standing Rules from the
Texas PTA, ensure that all PTA board members have the most recent copies of the
Berkner PTA - Standing Rules - Page 3 of 10
Bylaws and Standing Rules, and submit Bylaws and Standing Rule revisions to Texas
PTA on a timely basis.
K. RISD Council Delegates (2)
shall: 1. Attend RISD Council of PTAs meetings representing Berkner PTA as voting Delegates;
2. Bring reports to the executive board and association;
3. Promote and prepare for the RISD Council of PTAs’ annual Used Book Fair.
RULE III: STANDING COMMITTEES AND THEIR DUTIES
A. Arts in Education
committee shall: 1. Seek, publicize, and encourage students to develop an interest in and participate in cultural arts activities such as music, art, drama, and creative writing; 2. Promote the National PTA Reflections Program and be responsible for forwarding
entries to the Richardson Council of PTAs in accordance with their guidelines.
B. Berkner Bazaar
committee shall: 1. Plan, execute and evaluate the annual Berkner Bazaar craft and gift festival; and 2. Include vice chairs in the following areas: a. Vendor recruitment
b. Vendor hospitality c. Publicity d. Student volunteers e. Signage
g . Entertainment
C. Citizenship and Legislation
committee shall: 1. Stimulate interest in the rights, privileges and duties of good citizenship;
2. Encourage members to register and be informed voters;
3. Promote voter registration by 18-year-old Berkner students; and
4. Promote adequate laws for
care and protection of youth.
D. Clothes Closet
committee shall: 1. Cooperate with the RISD Council of PTAs’ Clothes Closet committees;
2. Recruit volunteers as necessary to work at the Clothes Closet; 3. Collect and deliver clothes and other requested items according to Clothes Closet guidelines; and
4. Inform the executive board and general body of any needs at the Clothes Closet.
Berkner PTA - Standing Rules - Page 4 of 10
committee shall: 1. Encourage Berkner families to sign up to receive the eNewsletter;
2. Collect information from all areas of Berkner and the community that is of value to Berkner families; 3. Send regularly scheduled eNewsletters to those who have signed up. 4. Utilize social media to promote the Berkner PTA and activities of Berkner High
committee shall: 1. Be responsible for determining the need for aesthetic and environmental improvements of the building and surrounding area;
2. Promote the State PTA and Richardson Council of PTAs environmental issues ; and . 3. Organize community recycle program involving Berkner students .
G. Faculty Representative
shall: 1. Be appointed by the principal;
2. Serve as a communication link between faculty, staff and PTA; 3. Solicit staff input; and 4. Work with Second Vice President (Membership) to encourage faculty to join
committee shall: 1. Promote multicultural awareness, learning differences, and understanding; and
2. Work to increase parental involvement among all represented at BHS.
committee shall: ¶ 1. Obtain space to conduct mum shop business; 2. Promote the mum shop through
signage and through public, PTA and school/district ¶
channels; 3. Recruit and manage volunteers to make and sell homecoming mums and
garters; 4. Track volunteer hours and provide a report for profit sharing among groups
volunteer; 5. Maintain appropriate inventory necessary to make mums and garters; 6.
Manage mum sales at school and shop location; and 7. Pack and store remaining
inventory for next year. ¶
IJ . Parent Education
committee shall: 1. Promote the Purposes of PTA through educational information/resources for parents; 2. Promote advocacy and education programs; and 3. Serve as BHS PTA’s representative for RISD Council of PTAs’ College and Career event.
L. Rams Advisory Group (4)
1. Include one representative from each grade level, selected by the outgoing Board
after completion and submission of a teacher nomination form
Berkner PTA - Standing Rules - Page 5 of 10
Students shall be selected by completion of teacher nomination form and final selection
will be chosen by outgoing Board
1. Promote student participation in the PTA; and
2. Attend PTA Board meetings and membership meetings.
K . Rams Coffee House
committee shall: ¶
1. Work with designated Berkner staff member to schedule dates for the coffee house;
2. Coordinate scheduling of school groups and organizations to sell breakfast items; 3.
Staff, supply and prepare the coffee house for each date; 4. Work to keep equipment
clean and maintained as necessary; and 5. Promote the coffee house through school
committee shall: 1. Encourage and coordinate volunteering at PTA events;
2. Collect and submit volunteer hours from all Berkner volunteers/groups to RISD Council of PTA’s volunteer coordinator per their guidelines; and 3. Chair the Volunteer Awards Committee, consisting of the Volunteer Services Chair, President, Second Vice President (Membership) and Principal.
K M . Website
shall: 1. Maintain and update the Berkner PTA website;
2. Provide support for PTA’s online membership and merchant accounts as needed by President, Second Vice President (Membership) and Treasurer; and 3. Assist the Communication chair as needed.
RULE IV: SPECIAL COMMITTEES
A. Budget Committee
shall: 1. Be comprised of a chair (Treasurer), incoming Treasurer, current and incoming ¶
Presidents and up to two (2) additional members ; and
. 2. Prepare a recommended budget, present it to the executive board, and submit it for ¶
approval at the final regular meeting.
B. Bylaws Committee
1. Be comprised of the Parliamentarian who shall serve as Chair and and up to two
(2) additional members; and
2. Be responsible for reviewing the bylaws and standing rules, recommending
changes to the board for approval, and presenting approved changes, if any, to the
membership for approval.
3. Be responsible for reviewing and complying with Texas PTA procedures for
updating or amending Bylaws and Standing Rules.
Berkner PTA - Standing Rules - Page 6 of 10
4. Be responsible for ensuring that the PTA updates or amends its Bylaws and
Standing Rules at least once every three years to maintain good standing with the Texas
C. Financial Reconciliation Committee
1. Be comprised of a minimum of three members appointed by the president at
least 30 days before the last regular meeting of the year. All appointments are subject to
the approval of the board.
2. Not include members who are authorized check signers or their family members
and preferably not include the incoming treasurer.
3. Conduct a financial reconciliation annually at the end of the fiscal year or when
any authorized check signer is added or deleted from an account or at any time as
deemed by the President or three members. 4. Present a report for adoption at the first membership meeting held after the
conclusion of the review.
5. Attach a copy of the annual report to the financial reconciliation report, place a
copy in the minutes, and provide the report to the treasurer who shall maintain a copy
permanently in the records.
6. Ensure that the membership is notified if a financial report is not completed
because of inadequacy of records and provide recommendations to correct the
D. Nominating Committee
1. Be elected by the membership;
2. Select a chair; 3. Conduct a meeting if a majority of the committee is present. (If a committee
member cannot attend the meeting, notify the alternate. In the event that another
committee meeting is called, that alternate member will continue to serve on the
committee and the original member does not return); and
4. Treat all candidates in a fair and consistent manner and make all decisions by
ballot or majority vote.
See google drive and insert
E. Special Disbursements Committee
shall: 1. Be comprised of President, Treasurer, Principal and up to two (2) additional members; and
2. Address requests throughout the year and have discretion to make individual disbursements of not more than $500 from the general fund/disbursements line item, if
Berkner PTA - Standing Rules - Page 7 of 10
worst-case anticipated income and expenses allow.
Berkner PTA - Standing Rules - Page 8 of 10
F. Volunteer Awards & Life Membership Committee
shall: 1. Be comprised of a chair (Volunteer Services Chair), President, Second VP (Membership) and up to two (2) additional members;
2. Select deserving individuals to receive Golden Apple Volunteer Award(s), Life Membership Award and special recognition awards.
RULE V: GUESTS OF THE BERKNER PTA EXECUTIVE BOARD
Guests may attend the executive board meetings only with permission of the President and board. Guests will stay for their stated business and then be excused. B.
The following individuals have a standing invitation to attend Berkner PTA Executive Board Meetings. They do not have the privilege of debate or vote.
Council Delegate Alternates
(2), who shall: a. Support and assist Berkner PTA’s Council Delegate in their duties; and b. Attend RISD Council Meetings when Delegate(s) cannot.
RULE VI: MEETINGS
A. Minutes of executive board meetings shall be approved by the members present prior to the next board meeting or, in the case of the final board meeting, by the end of the fiscal year.
The president shall appoint a committee of three (3) members to approve the minutes of regular meetings prior to the next regular meeting or, in the case of the final board meeting,
by the end of the fiscal year.
RULE VII: FINANCIAL
A. Retained Funds 1. All PTA monies must be given to the treasurer for deposit in the PTA bank account upon receipt;
2. Minimum $3,000 plus a sum equal to all outstanding payables shall be carried over annually for the operating expense of this organization;
B. Paid Expenses The following expenses may be paid by Berkner PTA as budget allows:
1. Texas PTA Leader Orientation - first-time PTA board members 2. Texas PTA Annual Convention and Summer Leadership Seminar - president, first vice
president (aide), treasurer, other board members in their designated order 3. RISD New Teacher Luncheon – president and principal
Berkner PTA - Standing Rules - Page 9 of 10
C. Reimbursement Procedure 1. Berkner PTA shall reimburse allowable, budgeted expenses to members who submit
receipts with proper documentation to the treasurer within ninety (90) days of the event
or within three (3) days of the end of the school year, whichever comes first. 2. Only expenses within the approved budget line item will be reimbursed. 3. Sales tax may only be reimbursed if place of purchase requires paid membership and will not recognize the tax exempt status of the unit.
D. Merchant Account Berkner PTA may apply for and maintain a merchant account to receive charges,
although Berkner PTA as an entity shall not apply for or use credit or debit cards for
Berkner PTA - Standing Rules - Page 10 of 10